Challenge 6

For this challenge I was so excited to try out something new! With digital learning and hybrid learning for my students I have been beyond overwhelmed with constant computer time, and grading. I decided to try out something that I have never done before with crocheting. I wanted to make a chevron blanket.

I have made small things with crocheting before this, like mask ear-savers to hold mask straps behind the head instead of pulling on ears. I have also made a all one color blanket. However, this was my first pattern that was not the same stitch over and over again. My first attempt ended up getting to be a toy for my cats. I was feeling confident and then all of a sudden realized in the middle that the arching was not what it should be. I had lost count of the stitches and messed it up. Rather than pulling those out I just started over.

After starting again and working for 8 plus hours I have a tiny chevron blanket. It is so soft and I am happy to continue working on it. When connecting to the readings of my new project, I was very surprised at the points given about technology taking over. It made me think of with crochet, you don’t really see people making things by hand much anymore. When making things in front of people I typically get the comment that I am “knitting” or an “old lady” people then are like oh you are a crazy cat lady after all so you have no life. When finding things on the internet I find google has taken over by the click of the button, but for skills like crocheting or other trades it is also an evolutionary thing for crafters. You can find a video on how to make just about anything with crochet needles and yarn.
People use these skills and sell them on etsy for those that may like the end result, but do not take the time to do them themselves.