Homago #7 Messing around with Seesaw

This week I wanted to work with Seesaw. With this chrome extension you can take screen shots of the area of work you would like to edit or write on. You can either do the entire screen, or select a captured area. In the online examples this is used for marking text while reading, but I had been told by other teachers that it may be good for math as well.

I started by taking a screen shot from a document my students had to do from this week, I first only did one problem from the page. Once taking the screen shot the extension automatically opens it in a slide type format. There is options to write, and add pages.

Then when looking at the screen shot, it was slightly blurry which is disappointing. At first glance it is very student friendly due to the obvious tools that are given. There are big pens and pencils at the bottom that can be used to write. I started drawing using these tools, and it worked great, but think that would not be the best unless students have a physical mouse instead of the laptop mouse pad.

I then thought to try writing to show work, and unfortunately there are not math symbols that can be entered. However, you can take speech to text, and it will write for you on the document, and take pictures on it as well. I thought this was a nice tool or modification that students may enjoy. I then found the math symbols are actually in the shapes category, which is cool. But would not be very easy to get and enter many when showing the work. You have to resize them and drag them where you want them. There is also not a way to make a fraction easily. You could draw on it, but again not so easy unless every student has a separate mouse. I liked how this one had more chance to write, which some students like, but for the current unit I am in fractions are extremely important, so I think this would be better for the younger grades.