Challenge #8 Geogebra Augmented Reality

In my class we are currently working on identifying whether a relationship is proportional or not using tables, graphs, and equations. With the app “GeoGebra Augmented Reality” students can type an equation into the app and see the graph in the space around them. They can move it from the screen on their phone and add multiple graphs.

In the readings/viewings I watched the video where students said how they learn more by doing and seeing things and being able to interact with them, than by just listening. This app can let students experiment with that and actually place graphs into their environments. They can see the graph in more than just a blank paper.

Like shown here, this is a messy graph that students could identify the relationship incorrectly by simply curving their line to go through the origin.

This image shows the GeoGebra augmented reality how you can type equations that can be placed into your world.

I plan to use this app to have students experiment with equations to see if the relationship is a proportional one or not. Students may start with tables and use those to write an equation for the relationship. They will then put the equation into the app and see what the graph looks like. They can move the graph to look at it at different angles, and zoom in to see closer.

Notice how the origin is clearly shown by the green line.

When students insert a relationship like the one above they will clearly see that the relationship is not proportional because the blue does not go through the origin. Whereas if it is as shown below they will.

Notice the graph clearly goes through the origin.

This app can open up things for math in so many ways. I think students will be able to see the relationships more with this than they ever have before.

1 Comment on Challenge #8 Geogebra Augmented Reality

1. awhile
    November 9, 2020 at 9:21 pm (4 years ago)

I can definitely see how this app would be incredibly meaningful and insightful to students. Knowing my own challenges in the areas of geometry and graphing, I can see the advantages that a virtual world could offer a student. Since I’m not overly familiar with this app, could students create their own equations and graph them accordingly? If they could, this might extend their learning so that they can feel as if they were “in the driver’s seat.” It’d be interesting for them to generate equations for their teacher to decipher, using the app in a way that they could create instead of solve. This could be fun for the students as they watch their teacher find solutions for x, y, or z and then graph them.

Reply